Reflections for Sunday (5/30)

Scripture for Sunday May 30; Holy Trinity Sunday:
Psalm 8
Proverbs 8:1-4, 22-31
Romans 5:1-5
John 16:12-15

May 30th is a few weeks after Lutheran Theological Seminary's spring semester. By this time I will be back in Iowa and preaching at my home congregation Luther Memorial, in Des Moines, IA.
For the next few days (and months!) I will be reflecting on these scripture readings as I work to faithfully engage the scripture and the life of my home congregation.
Feel free to comment, offer suggestions, questions and links!

Comments

  1. Ryan, I've never preached on Holy Trinity Sunday, and it's not something I'm looking forward to doing. Most of the Trinity sermons I've heard were either confusing (as is the Trinity) or tried so hard to "demythologize" the Trinity that they left me wondering if the preacher was an atheist (or at least agnostic) and maybe I should become one too.
    You have a challenge on your hands with this one, remember as a Lutheran, when in doubt go to Romans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find John 16:12-15 to be a very confusing text. At the very least, perhaps it illustrates God's faithfulness to humanity, which is embodied by the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, watch for modalism! :-) Dr. Christianson is a particular stickler on this subject. I doubt he'll be in your congregation that day. Anyhow, I think it's very wise of you to starting thinking about Holy Trinity Sunday in advance. I think it will serve you (and your congregation) well, that you will have put so much time and energy into working through what it really means for God to be "Trinity" in our world today. I would suggest seeing how well the other assigned lectionary texts for the day speak to your gospel message, if that's what you choose to preach on. In my limited experience, it seems that subjects such as the Trinity are really best explained by the Biblical witness. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

in measured hundredweight and penny pound

i take flight

anywhere you wanna go