This barren July...

This post is particularly difficult for me. I am from Iowa, the nearest "city" I grew up to was Cedar Rapids. I remember trips into town, to worship, get groceries and the like.

For many Cedar Rapids isn't much of a city. It is modestly sized and doesn't boast of anything particularly important. The capitol, before the flood, was located on an island. This little trait was shared only by Paris.
Cedar Rapids, however, boast something else important. Something else not often given attention. Cedar Rapids hosts the Mother Mosque in America. This mosque, built in 1934, is the first permanent structure built to serve specifically as a mosque in North America.

I remember how proud I felt when I learned this.

This pride is contrasted to a deep pain over recent events.
The opposition to Cordoba House, a Muslim center to be built near ground zero, is well documented. (Listen to the audio, especially the recording of the commission meeting, to get a sense of the anger.)

This national, issue, strikes close to home for another reason. I recently heard about a young man who was assaulted. Apparently those assaulting the young man had some choice words.

(It is hard to find any print news articles about the incident. This is the only other reporting I have found over the issue.)

The cops are hesitant to call this a hate crime.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like leaders, religious or otherwise, are speaking out against this. I can understand the confusion and difficulty this situation foists unto many. To remain silent, however, sends the message that Muslims will not be protected by the law the way the majority might. It sends plenty of other mixed and potentially violent messages.

The words the attackers used are never acceptable. They are part of the assumption that one's faith, ethnicity, or social-status make them less of a human, and deserving of violence.

There are no simple answers, but silence is a simple answer that has been used all too often.
---

Early in July an Islamic Center in Cedar Rapids was vandalized. (I am impressed how the Imam has responded.)

All this leads me to the conviction that dialogue between Christians and Muslims is vital.

(There are no pictures to attach to this post that covey my pain.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in measured hundredweight and penny pound

i take flight

anywhere you wanna go