How these hands can create better things for bettering



This week I am finishing up on my story about women’s ordination. It’s been such a great experience.

I’ve spoken with pastors about stewardship, gifts, theology, hope and sorrows. It’s humbling. At the end of this process I am emerging with a renewed sense about the importance of diverse perspectives and characteristics leading within the church.

While this affirmation has to do with rights, it has a lot more to do with a promise; a promise of God’s presence and the promise of the goodness of God’s creation. Keeping those from ministry who bring new, unique and important gifts ultimately stunts the growth of the church.

The growth I am talking about isn’t a growth in numbers, institutional strength, political prowess, social relevance or the like. Instead this growth is a promise to be part of God’s mission in the world.

Once this story is published I will link it, and I am very excited to do so. Until then I have to sit on my hands and let the story go through the editing process. I end with a quote from Heather Hammond who is serving as the interim senior pastor at All Saints Lutheran Church:

“Instead of using energy to explain why women are service, instead of using energy to prove themselves, women can be engaged in more proactive ministries.”

Yes, as we stand at a new point, where many take for granted that women can indeed be pastors, let us open ourselves for the new ways our mission will be changed.

And of course, in light of this issue which was once quite decisive (and for many still is), but is now taken for granted, one must wonder about our sisters and brothers affected by one the recent ELCA decisions (I say one because there were many other great resolutions that passed, which are often overlooked).



Note: The attached photo is not of Heather Hammond, or any other women I've interviewed for the story. This photo is of a pastor giving a presentation about peace in the Middle East.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in measured hundredweight and penny pound

i take flight

anywhere you wanna go