it's alive with such possibilities



Recently I've been able to begin writing and researching for a series I pitched earlier this spring. The series is about congregations which are greening themselves.

In previous blog entries I've discussed ecologically concerned theology. It's been very meaningful for me to explore how theology prompts ethical ecological considerations. (Here is a link to a theologian I've been able to talk with at the Metro Lutheran.)

What the linked theologian, myself and so many are after is, what role does theology have in ecological-talk. I worked on a paper about a Theology of the Cross and ecology. It was a lot of fun, but it was frustrating, too. I felt like I had to spend at least a 1/3 of the paper explaining why ecology isn't a mere addition to theology, but an essential consideration in theology.

For one of the the stories in the series, I visited Lutheran Church of the Reformation, in St. Louis Park. This congregation has been concerned and a leading caring for creation congregation for many years.
What was so exciting for me when I spoke with the pastor and congregants was how central caring for creation was to their theology, and therefore their identity.
This congregation started and maintain a prairie, forest, and community gardens. It was amazing to walk in a living prairie less than 50 feet from hwy. 100. What an oasis.
This prairie serves the larger community, too. It catches run-off water. Catching this water keeps it from spilling into, and polluting, the Mississippi. What a committed congregation. It is worth pointing out the Mississippi is on the other side of Minneapolis from them.
This dedication to ecology has lead the congregation to fuller life engaged with their immediate and broader community. Now they are researching how to make their congregation even more vital to their community. They want to be park of St. Louis Park's resiliency.

I'm excited congregations are living theology that is so important to the life of God's creation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in measured hundredweight and penny pound

i take flight

anywhere you wanna go