something else was on my mind

the only ghost i'm haunted by...



In a sermon I once hear Will Willimon quip that Christians aren’t spiritual. 
Well said. 
Truth be told though, I don’t Christians should be romantics. 
It’s those romantic Christians that keep us farthest away from a crucified God. 

This post isn’t about theology, though.
Not explicitly, anyway. 
This post is lenten-music. 
Each Tuesday during Lent I’ll update with five more “lenten jamz.”

Lent is a holy time. 
I love to begin Lent with this old tumbler I found in my Grandfather's belongings. Once the old thing is is full of good Irish whisky, I’m ready to break down a handful of palm branches to stuff in an old Maxwell Coffee can. 
Not just any branches, though. 
Branches that had been waved while singing “Hosanna” by saints alive and passed.
Tumbler and coffee can full, it's time to head outside to burn the branches for Ash Wednesday. 

Those who imagine this enterprise as a romantic thing, should step aside. 
This year the temperature was 5 degrees, there was at least 4 inches of snow on the ground, and my company included folks who were outside for less “spiritual” pursuits (seeking warmth), some college students as well as a curious police officer.

There was nothing romantic about getting the ashes read; especially considering that in a few short days those ashes would be smeared onto brows of folks I love, all to remind them they are going to be buried in the very-same soil they came from. 
Christianity isn’t a romantic enterprise, though. 
And Lent isn’t for romantic at heart, either.

Lent is for sinners who know their headed for dirt and know they need someone (or something) else intervene. 

This year to help me dwell on the "tragedy of the gospel" while I burned and ground ashes, I listened to:
1.) Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, “The Hardest Part” (Jacksonville City Nights)
2.) Otis Redding, “These Arms of Mine” (Live at the Whisky a Go Go)
3.) Local Natives, “Breakers” (Hummingbird)
4.) Tokyo Police Club, “Favourite Food” (Champ)
5.) Josh Ritter, “Monster Ballads” (Animal Years)


A blessed Lent to y'all,
may you remember that you are dust, and so you shall you return to the dust;

unless God intervenes…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in measured hundredweight and penny pound

i take flight

anywhere you wanna go