the question is a truth

In General; of preaching:
This "In General; of preaching," is a series I hope to continue. In these posts I want to talk broadly about the craft, art of the sermon. Look for more. I appreciate any added questions or insights into this new pursuit.


Of Function and Content:

I remember growing up, and asserting myself more and more as an individual. As I did this I questioned many of the traditions, assumptions and worldviews my family and friends had given to me.
I remember thinking about worshiping Jesus; there was this absurd claim about a god-man being born, and killed, and raised… Somehow that faith in me stuck. As I wrestled with faith, though, I encountered even more absurd claims!

(Rev. Jay Carlson provides a wonderful Advent devotional about the absurd claims faith makes.)

One night in the library I remember physically experiencing a sense of vertigo. This particular night I was thinking about how topsy-turvey many of the assumptions of worshiping Jesus are. For instance, the bold claim is made that this worship is not ethical. In fact, worshiping Jesus is different than a-ethical, it is unethical.
How ethical is it that the creator of everything would be willing to forgive an individual’s violence toward another part of the everything? Yet, somehow, worshipers of Jesus make the claim that this is part of their ethic (yet their ethic is not detached from the ethic it departs from).

So, then, concerning, ethical preaching: what does it mean to ask listeners of a sermon to go along with a lie? Not a subtle lie, but an overt lie? Can something make that lie turn into a truth?

In my sermon for Sunday I am going to make the absurd claim that I found John the Baptist's diary. I will insist upon this claim. If this listener refuses to suspend their disbelief I am not sure my talking on Sunday could be called preaching.

This is an experiment, then.

Is this experiment ethical?
I've spoken with others and reflected about this. I believe I am being fair to the listeners. This is my first concern.
My second concern is that I fulfill my obligation, which is to proclaim God's word. As I said, if the listener refuses to suspend their disbelief, I am no longer fulfilling that obligation.
I have decided that if a listener refuses to suspend their disbelief my obligation to them is three-fold:
1.) Confess the diary is a fabrication.
2.) Explain my reasoning, including how I hoped the fabrication would function.
3.) Apologize, and ask for their input.

Now the question becomes, can this lie become part of the truth?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in measured hundredweight and penny pound

i take flight

anywhere you wanna go