muscle to muscle

 
& toe to toe
 

Les Mis is in theaters. It's gotten Oscar nods. I've heard it is good from everyone who has seen it, so I am sure it is a lovely film. I haven't seen this film, but I will. I have read the book though, and seen the touring cast preform the music.

The music is wonderful and the story is just splendid. Bono of U2 said the most interesting songs are ones about people running to, or away from, God. And I think this is true. That is what is so captivating about Les Mis - the cast is huge but one of the most compelling story lines is that of Jean Valjean.

Locked away for stealing bread to feed his children, upon release Jean tries to steal the candelabra from a priest. And as the adage goes, Jean cannot catch any luck.

Nearly immediately he is apprehended by the police, and just when he thinks he is going back to the "clink," the priest comes to save the day.

The priest says he gave Jean the candles and that he forgot the silverware, too.

By grace, Jean is saved.

He spends the rest of that story running to catch up to that grace.

It is a compelling storyline, and we can all, in one way or another, relate. That is what brings us here week after week, isn't it?

 

At some point in our lives grace has grabbed us, grace has changed everything, and now we're running, just trying to catch up...


Now I've never stolen from a priest or been locked away for stealing bread, but I can remember, very clearly, a moment in my life when grace flipped everything around. Since that evening I've been running, just trying to catch up with what already happened.

It was my senior year of college. I had been diligently studying theology, preparing for seminary. In fact, at this point I had already been accepted into the call process to become a pastor, and I had been accepted to seminary.

I was working on my senior essay. The essay was comparing how Reinhold Niebuhr, an ethicist, spoke about grace to the way Martin Luther spoke about grace.

Pretty interesting, huh?

Don't worry, I won't be preaching that essay anytime soon.

In fact, it is remarkable God's grace was able to break through such an abstract enterprise. Probably, all the coffee consumed and the fact that it was well after mid-night, might have had something to do with the revelation.

I was reading Gerhard Forde's explanation of grace when his words struck me. They really came alive from the page and struck me. In fact, I physically felt a sense of vertigo!

I don't have the exact quote but what Forde was pointing out is that we are so trapped in sin that we think freedom means just being able to do whatever we want.

Forde pointed out that the freedom just to do what we wants means we're bound to ourselves; we can never really freely serve another person as long as freedom only means being able to do what we want.

As those words struck me, I felt like I was falling, right there in the library. Suddenly up felt like down, and left felt like right.

I realized I had been speaking about theology completely wrong!

I wanted to go back and rewrite every essay I had ever turned in! I figured all my professors, seminary faculty and ELCA call staff must have though I was a complete baffoon!

 

But you never can go back, can you? Since that evening, I've been running to catch up to the incredible work God has already done.

As it turned out, though, the work God had started much, much before that evening...


It isn't just folks like you and I, though, who run to catch up with what God is already done.

Even the writers of the Gospel have a hard time keeping up with God. Just look at today's Gospel.

 
Today's Gospel is the "Baptism of Our Lord."

This baptism stirred some controversy. You can see the scandal in the fact that each Gospel writer tries to fix the conundrum of Jesus being baptized. Each Gospel writer does something different with Jesus' baptism, in Luke John is clear that Jesus is more divine than him, and Luke even takes pains to get John out of the scene of Jesus' baptism.

The scandal is pretty obvious; why would Jesus, God in the flesh, need to be baptized?

Did Jesus sin?!?

And then there is the problem that Jesus' baptism could seem like Jesus was submitting to John's teaching, not John submitting to Jesus' teaching. So each of the Gospel writers tries to ease these difficulties created by Jesus being baptized away.

The simple fact that Jesus, God in the flesh, radically enters into this broken world in such a way that even God would need to be baptized is too scandalous! It is just too much for our Gospel author's piety.

 

God's holiness must to be protected!

God gets so fleshy, so sinful, that even the Gospel writers get queasy, and at this moment they flinch!

They try to fix the problems of Jesus being baptized.

The fact that God gets so close to the muck of this world is too much, and the Gospel writers try to fix the problem of God's decision to radically enter into the world. The fact that God gets so involved in the life that we know so well and, frankly, need so badly for God to be with us in is just too unholy for God and the Gospel writers try to fix God's lack of care for all things pure.

 
So it isn't just for literary characters like Jean, or folks like you and me, even the Gospel writers find themselves running to catch up to the work God already does.


And when push comes to shove, we all too often find ourselves trying to do the same theological fixing that the gospel authors get involved in.

Just look at today's lesson from Acts. That giving of the Holy Spirit gets us a little squirmish...

We hear that the folks in Samaria had been baptized, but the Holy Spirit hadn't come to them yet. For those of us who practice infant baptism, we start to get a little concerned.

We look over our shoulders to make sure none of those folks who practice believers baptism are around!

Jeez if they are we're in a heap of trouble! In fact, we can already hear the "I told you so's" coming! Quickly we flip through our Bibles to find an example of infant baptism (of which, there are none!) to proof-text our way back into being right.


But to engage in this kind of sloppy, self-centered exegesis is miss the point completely!


Peter and John are not sent to Samaria to confirm the people's faith there. No Peter and John are sent to Samaria so God can confirm to Peter and John, and all Jerusalem, that the Samaritans faith is valid.

 
After all, let's not forget who the Samaritans we're...

The samaritans were despised by Judeans. That is part of the scandal of Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan.

Good?!?! How could a Samaritan, one of those people, be good, any good Judean would have wondered.

When the Christian mission began in Jerusalem then, Samaria was probably the last place they had in mind to spread God's Word.


But low and behold, God's Word goes even there, and what do those crazy Samaritans do?

They accept God's Word!

And so now Pete and John go Samaria, not to confirm the faith of the Samaritans, God had already done that.

No, John and Peter go to Samaria so God can show them, and all Jerusalem, that God has already been at work, even among the Samaritans!
 

So it is not just among folks like you and me, or even the Gospel writers, but even the saints.

Yes even the saints, those heroes we look up to!

Even Pete and John find themselves running to catch up to the work God has already done. Like Jean Valjean, like you and me, God has already acted, and that incredible grace of God has changed everything.

 

Earlier I noted that God's incredible work began well before that evening when I was in the library.

As many of you know, I didn't grow up Lutheran.

For most of my time growing up, my mother took me to a fine Pentecostal church, one that didn't have infant baptism.

When I was born, though, my folks weren't really going to any church.

When my Dad's mom heard this, she wouldn't have it.

I needed to be baptized. I mean, what if, God forbid, something happened to me? I needed to be baptized.

So I was.

Yup - I got the fire insurance at a young age.

 
In the baptism, I can not be sure how seriously the clergy took the vows that were made, and honestly I can't be sure how seriously my family took those vows.

In fact, I don't think I ever set foot in that church again...

 
But do you know what, the church I was baptized in was a Lutheran church.

Yes, I just went there for the fire insurance; but low and behold, I became a Lutheran pastor...

In that act, a can of worms was opened and the lid could not be put back on.

Well even before I knew it, I had been running to catch up to that work God had already begun.

 

That, finally, is the story of the Bible.

It isn't about having the perfect, completed theology. It isn't about knowing what communion or baptism means, as if any of us do. It isn't even about having the catechism memorized, as if we need to anymore in the era of the smartphone.

The story of the Bible is the story of humans running to catch up to the work already done by God!

You'll notice I've been projecting images and the sound of running water.

Yes, it is to help the story of Jesus' baptism to come alive, but it is also to remind us that the work of God is ever running; living water.

 
We've been washed in that water and so now we find ourselves caught up in that ever moving water, that ever running work God has already done. We've been reborn into a new threshold, everything is different, we cannot turn around, we cannot undue this work that has been begun.

We are caught up in the grace of God's work.

God leads, let us follow!

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in measured hundredweight and penny pound

i take flight

anywhere you wanna go