when christ said "repent"

he meant an entire life of repentance...




Reformation 500 has come and gone…
For years we’ve been talking about how big of a deal this is. But as the big day approached, it became more and more clear, "business as usual” was directing our affairs.
Practical as that may be, what Martin Luther set off 500 years ago interrupted “business as usual.” In fact, folks who were sympathetic to his reforms, suggested Luther back off a little because they were disrupting “business as usual” too much!

When did we as a church become more committed to “business as usual,” than the Gospel? 
And, don’t think I’m trying to soak the ELCA here, I include myself in this
(Quickly, I think the ornaments were a cool exception to what I’m thinking about)

Yes, the “to-do” list never ends anymore. Plenty of usual business calls for our attention.
But I can’t help but wonder, how many of these “to-do’s,” really need to be done? What things do we do as the church, just because we think we have to? What are we doing, that no one is asking us to?
I started thinking about this after the obvious realization that, my best sermons came when I was the least stressed. When I had the most time to ponder scripture, the structure of the sermon and for memorization. That realization was humbling because the sermon is the most important pastoral care and evangelism I give. 
And that made me wonder, what other things have I let compete with time that should have been spent on the sermon? Just like you all, though, I felt pressure to keep up every little thing. And, more or less, I have. 
Perhaps to the detriment of the Gospel…

Bishop Eaton keeps talking about “October 32” as a way to remind us that continuing the Reformation doesn’t end on Reformation 500. And she’s right, it doesn’t. 
Perhaps the best way we can follow her prudent exhortations, would be to step back from our business as usual, and evaluate: What are we doing that doesn’t serve the gospel, that competes with it?

These evaluations are more important than ever because these days, we all feel overwhelmed by everything life throws at us. 
And as a church we don’t need to be making it worse! 
The alternative I imagine is to focus on doing a few things well, rather than trying to do everything. To be transparent, I think that should be, first and foremost, worship. After that, the rest will come organically (Galatians 5:22).

My dream is for the church to be a place where burdens are removed, rather than piled on. A place not on any “to-do” list. A place to come out of joy, rather than guilt or duty. 

And all God’s people say, “Amen!”
(Plus, if we can pull this off, I can't help but imagine evangelism coming a whole heck of a lot easier, too
…)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

in measured hundredweight and penny pound

i take flight

anywhere you wanna go